24October2017

Home Editorial PROS AND CONS ON 8-HOUR SCHOOL DAY POLICY

PROS AND CONS ON 8-HOUR SCHOOL DAY POLICY

 

Monday June 12, 2017, Indonesian Minister of Education and Culture, Muhadjir Effendy said that the government of Indonesia will soon apply 8- hour school day policy or full-day school policy with five school days for 2017/2018 academic year. The policy is an implementation of the Character Education Reinforcement program (PPK) which focuses on five main values, namely religious, nationalist, mutual assistance, self-reliance, and integrity. 

However, even though it has not been implemented yet, the plan has already generated pros and cons and unrest among the public. Among those who are against the policy said that not all parents work all day, particularly those living in remote areas. Most of them actually work as farmers or fishermen. They interact with their children in their daily lives. With the full day school policy, it is feared to eliminate the quantity of interaction between parents and children. 

While those who are for the eight-hour school day policy with five school days said that the policy has more positive than negative impacts. Eight hours is counted as a student's learning process, including various additional activities undertaken by students after their schooling activities. So, various extra-curricular activities done in school or outside the school, will be counted as a learning process conducted by a student. 

Minister of Education and Culture, Muhadjir who initiates the policy stated that many people still misunderstand the concept of 8-hour school day. It does not mean that the students have class for 8 hours. 

In fact, Minister Muhadjir also said that in the 8-hour school, students not only receive lessons that come from textbooks, but also receive character education. He explains later the transfer of knowledge from textbooks is only 30 percent. Meanwhile, the remaining 60-70 percent will be filled with character education. He added that there are several characters that want to be formed. The priorities are honesty, unyielding, tolerance, and cooperation. 

President Joko Widodo himself has instructed the Minister of Education and Culture, Muhadjir Effendy to review the policy plan of eight-hour school day after hearing of unrest among the communities. Every new policy will surely pose pros and cons. Many circles who are against the policy plan do not consider that the policy is bad. It is hoped that the community does not carelessly respond to a policy. All stakeholders should look at the policy plan clearly first. After that, they can express their opinions. 

{audio}{/audio}

Business Address

Jl. Merdeka Barat, 4-5, 4th Floor,

Jakarta 10110.

Phone: +62 21 3456 811,

Fax: +62 21 3500 990

email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.